In Canada: Alex Warren’s ‘Ordinary’ Now Second Longest No. 1 in Canadian Hot 100 History
Alex Warren’s “Ordinary” is making history on the Billboard charts in Canada.
The rising singer-songwriter’s hit “Ordinary” has spent 20 weeks atop the Billboard Canadian Hot 100, as of the chart dated August 30. That makes Warren’s song the second-longest No. 1 of all time.
It’s the second song to hold the top spot for 20 weeks in the history of the Billboard Canadian Hot 100, which launched in 2007. The first was Shaboozey’s “A Bar Song (Tipsy),” which surpassed Lil Nas X’s “Old Town Road” to set the record in 2024.
“Ordinary” first hit No. 1 in the week of April 19, knocking ROSÉ and Bruno Mars’ hit “APT.” from the top spot. It’s since become a chart juggernaut in Canada. “Ordinary” has dominated the Canadian Hot 100 this summer and has not been dethroned, despite challenges from Justin Bieber and the Kpop Demon Hunters soundtrack. “Ordinary” has spent 28 total weeks on the chart.
The track builds up to a momentous chorus, while unpacking the feeling of loving somebody who makes life extraordinary. It serves as the lead single for Warren’s debut album, You’ll Be Alright, Kid, which sits at No. 3 on this week’s Billboard Canadian Albums chart.
South of the border, on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, Warren’s “Ordinary” reign has lasted 10 non-consecutive weeks, after peaking on June 7. This week, it was bumped from No. 1 by the KPop Demon Hunters’ HUNTR/X track “Golden.”
Warren’s song hit No. 1 in Canada first and has maintained its position for double the time.
Shaboozey’s “A Bar Song (Tipsy)” holds the longest-leading No. 1 with 25 weeks, and was the first to hold No.1 for 20 weeks in chart history.
20 weeks would set the record for most weeks at No. 1 on the U.S. Hot 100, where Shaboozey and Lil Nas X are tied with their respective 19-week reigns. On that chart, which has existed for 66 years compared to Canada’s 17 years, only five songs have occupied the No. 1 spot for more than 15 weeks.
If “Ordinary” can spend five more weeks at No. 1, Alex Warren will break the record set by Shaboozey just last year.
Read more on the chart feat here.
Toronto City Councillor Says ‘Something Must Be Done’ to Reduce Rogers Stadium Sound Levels After Oasis Concerts
A Toronto city councillor is raising concerns about sound levels coming from Rogers Stadium.
Councillor James Pasternak, who represents York Centre — where the 50,000-seat open-air venue is located — commented on the alleged noise following one of two Oasis Live ’25 concerts on Sunday night (August 24). It marks the lone Canadian stop of the British band’s reunion tour.
“We remain very concerned about the sound levels,” he told CTV News Toronto on Monday (August 25). “These concerts can be heard miles away, and we feel the venue operator can turn down the volume significantly and still offer a strong concert experience. Something must be done.”
According to the city of Toronto’s website, concert noise cannot exceed 55 decibels or 70 decibels between 7 am and 11 pm when heard from an outdoor living area or 50 decibels or 65 decibels between 7 am and 11 pm when heard from an indoor living area.
Yet, residents in the area have noted that they can still hear the noise, with some commenting that the vibrations from the speakers are strong enough to rattle their windows.
“Just because it is technically in compliance does not mean it meets acceptable levels for the community,” Pasternak said.
Since its opening in June, Rogers Stadium has garnered mixed reviews, with some fans commenting on long wait times to exit the venue, limited cell service accessibility issues. In July, Live Nation said it had made adjustments to enhance the concert experience ahead of the stadium’s four Coldplay shows.
During the venue’s initial opening days, Pasternak said that “respectful but blunt” conversations were held with Live Nation Canada and property developers Northcrest, and he urged them to address concerns before the summer concert season ramped up.
In recent months, Pasternak has been vocal about music in the city. A few weeks ago, the York Centre councillor called on the federal government to ban Irish rap trio Kneecap from entering the country.
As it stands, Rogers Stadium isn’t a permanent venue and will eventually be replaced by a new mixed-use development, though no timeline has been provided by the city.
Pasternak previously acknowledged that the speed at which the project was approved left gaps in planning and execution.
“You had a private land owner and private concert promotion company who wanted to get this done… they got it done pretty fast, surprisingly fast… but things should have been thought out,” he told CTV News in July.
On September 3 and 5, System of a Down and Deftones take the stage, which is followed by the venue’s final show for the 2025 season — Irish singer-songwriter Hozier on September 10.
Read more here.
Canadian Country Singer Owen Riegling Signs to Big Loud Records in the U.S.
Owen Riegling’s breakthrough story is continuing.
The Canadian country star revealed that the influential country label Big Loud Records — which recently expanded their marketing leadership team — has signed on as his U.S. label partner, joining forces with his home label Universal Music Canada.
Since winning the 2022 Boots & Hearts Festival Emerging Artist Competition, Riegling has established himself as one of Canada’s emerging voices in country music, and the goal is to expand his reach south of the border.
“On my very first trip to Nashville, I stood outside the Big Loud building and dreamed about one day getting the chance to work with them,” says Riegling expressing his excitement. “To see that dream come full circle and become a reality is truly surreal. Big Loud has a proven track record of building artists that I’ve looked up to for years, and I’m honoured to now have their support as I continue to grow my career.”
Last year, the Mildmay, Ontario native earned two Canadian Country Music Association (CCMA) Awards, one of which was for his track “Old Dirt Roads,” which peaked at No. 69 on the Billboard Canadian Hot 100 and No. 2 on the Billboard Canada Country Airplay chart. He’s currently charting on Country, with “Coming Home To You (Bigger House),” his duet with Mackenzie Porter. That’s not to mention opening stints for country stars Brett Young, Jake Owen, Tyler Hubbard of Florida Georgia Line and Chase Rice.
“I’ve lived a lot of life since my last release — it’s been nearly a year filled with travel, new places, and incredible people,” shares Riegling. “All of those experiences have shaped me into who I am stepping into this next chapter.”
Riegling also recently hired a management team that bridges Canada and the U.S., so he is continuing to make moves on both sides of the border.
Read more here.
Powered by Billboard.