Music

John Legend Says Allegations Against Diddy Are ‘Shameful,’ Hopes That ‘Reparations Can Be Made’

John Legend is speaking out against Diddy, less than a year after the duo collaborated on a track that appeared on Legend’s The Love Album: Off the Grid.

“I was horrified by the descriptions that I read before the video evidence came out,” Legend told CNN this week of the devastation accusations against Diddy, as well as the video that was released that featured the hip-hop star appearing to assault his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura. “And absolutely it’s something that needs to be brought to light when it happens.”

The duo collaborated with Babyface on 2023’s “Kim Porter,” which was named after Combs’ late partner who died in 2018 of pneumonia.

Noting that that allegations against Diddy are “shameful,” Legend added, “My default stance is to believe women when they make these accusations and to make sure that we do whatever we can to support women,” hoping “that they’re heard and that any kind of accountability and reparations can be made to make these women whole again.”

In the video, obtained by CNN earlier this month and dated March 5, 2016, Combs appears to shove Ventura to the ground near an elevator bank, kick her several times while she lies on the ground and drag her down a hallway. The contents of the video mirror an assault allegation Ventura made in a now-settled lawsuit she filed against Diddy in November.

Shortly after, on May 19, Diddy took to social media to share a video of himself taking responsibility and apologizing for his actions in the disturbing clip. “It’s so difficult to reflect on the darkest times in your life, but sometimes you got to do that,” Diddy says in his Instagram video. “I was f—ed up. I mean, I hit rock bottom. But I make no excuses. My behavior on that video is inexcusable. I take full responsibility for my actions in that video. I’m disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, I’m disgusted now.”

He continued, “I went out and sought professional help. Had to go into therapy, into rehab. Had to ask God for his mercy and grace. I’m so sorry. But I’m committed to being a better man each and every day. I’m not asking for forgiveness. I’m truly sorry.”

“The gut-wrenching video has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs,” said Ventura’s attorney, Douglas Wigdor, in a statement sent to Billboard. “Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light.”

Ventura was the first to accuse Diddy of sexual assault, filing a lawsuit in November in which attorneys for Cassie claimed she “endured over a decade of his violent behavior and disturbed demands,” including repeated physical attacks and forcing her to “engage in sex acts with male sex workers” while he masturbated. According to the complaint, after she attempted to separate from him in 2018 after an on-and-off public relationship for 11 years, Combs allegedly “forced her into her home and raped her while she repeatedly said ‘no’ and tried to push him away.” The case was soon settled, but Combs was then sued by multiple other women who claimed they were sexually abused by the hip-hop mogul. 

“ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,” Diddy wrote on Instagram in December. “For the last couple of weeks, I have sat silently and watched people try to assassinate my character, destroy my reputation and my legacy. Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday. Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged. I will fight for my name, my family and for the truth.”

Powered by Billboard.

Related Articles

Back to top button